Southern Africa – long famous for the oldest and best-managed game parks on the continent is becoming increasingly popular as an adventure travel destination. In the 1990s the number of visitors to the region nearly doubled, to more than 6.5 million tourists per year, as adventure travelers abandoned traditional safari sites in Kenya and Tanzania for the world-class national parks of Botswana and Zimbabwe, Zambia and Namibia. Favorable political changes have inspired an increase in tourism to South Africa, and the pristine wilderness areas in the smaller nations of Malawi, Lesotho, and Swaziland have become favorites with budget travelers in search of adventure well off the beaten track.
Adventuring in Southern Africa is a comprehensive guide to the geography, culture, natural history, and adventure opportunities in these eight countries, including:
- The legendary areas of Victoria Falls
- The Okavango Delta
- The Zambezi River
- Kruger National Park
- The classic safari as well as unconventional car, hiking, rafting, and canoe trips
- The nuts and bolts of how to plan a trip, including what to pack, how to adjust to local customs, what documents to take, and safari etiquette
- A full range of travel styles, from luxury tours to independent budget travel
- How to stay healthy while traveling in Africa
- With appendices listing safari tour operators and conservation groups, as well as a helpful safari bibliography, Adventuring in Southern Africa is an essential tool for anyone planning a trip to this spectacular and still unspoiled part of the world.
Title: Adventuring in Southern Africa: The Great Safaris and Wildlife Parks of Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Malawi, Lesotho, and Swaziland
Authors: Allen Bechky
Edition: 1st Edition
Pages: 544 pages
Publisher: Sierra Club Books