Today’s job submission/ vacancy is for an IT Manager position at The Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The closing date for this application is June 18, 2008.
The Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID) is an international feminist organization that works to strengthen the voice, impact and influence of women’s rights advocates, organizations, and movement worldwide. AWID has offices in Toronto, Cape Town and Mexico City as well as part time staff in other countries.
AWID is looking to hire an IT Manager to work out of our Toronto office. The incumbent is an IT generalist with a strong technical background, advanced skills in database and web programming, and a good conceptual and practical understanding of the role that IT plays in an organization. She or he will provide both day-to-day technical support to the Toronto, Cape Town and Mexico City offices, as well as provide overall IT oversight and strategic IT planning for AWID. The incumbent will also work frequently on specific projects involving database and Web work with AWID’s various strategic initiatives. The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter who is able to work with minimal supervision, enjoys problem-solving, and is highly
organized and able to be effective in an environment that often presents many competing demands. She or he has both a strong technical background with “hard” programming skills (particularly in database development), complemented by “softer” skills such as the ability to do strategic planning and general IT oversight. The incumbent is also someone who is able to work well with non-technical people, and able to communicate complex technical issues in language that is easily understood by the lay person.
- Provide technical support to staff in the AWID offices and those working from other locations; troubleshoot hardware and software issues;
- Purchase computers, network devices, video and audio devices and other equipment, and liaise with vendors;
- Do yearly work planning, including plans for the replacement of equipment and suggestions for new purchases, as well as cyclical strategic planning on IT issues;
- Do strategic thinking with a growing organization on how to make the most effective use of IT to further our work and constituency;
- Liaise with Internet service provider re. connectivity, hosting and collocation systems, and overall email services;
- Supervise contractors involved in various IT projects like database development, purchase of software packages, maintenance of licenses and recovery devices.
- Maintain existing FileMaker databases, add new features to current solutions and build new database solutions in FileMaker Pro, including connectivity from the website for event registration, membership payment, and other purposes.
- Administer current database server, the website, email, and any other server that might be added in future;
- Manage user access, accounts and passwords for various applications;
- Periodic maintenance and backup of computers in the Toronto office, setting up of automatic mechanisms for backup, and coordination of backup procedures for other offices and staff
- Perform periodic virus scanning, maintain anti-virus software.
- Experience in database development, including linking databases with website for online payments, event registration, online surveys and other purposes: FileMaker Pro, FileMaker php API, FX.php, or
other systems (including Access);
- Knowledge of database server administration: FileMaker Server, FileMaker Server Advanced;
- Knowledge about computer and network hardware and software: printers, scanners, routers, switches, local network setup, DHCP, FTP, HTTP, SSL;
- Knowledge about operating systems: Windows XP, Mac OS X, other software: Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, QuickBooks, Norton Antivirus, Skype,
- Knowledge in IT planning, management and strategizing
- Knowledge of server administration an asset: Windows 2003, Linux;
- Web, database, mail and DNS server administration an asset:
- Apache, IIS, MySQL, php, postfix.
Please send a cover letter and resume to the attention of Allison Jack by email at: ( [email protected] )